Friday, January 4, 2008

"Sixth Sense" the movie


In one of its most gripping scenes, the young character played by Haley Joel Osment utters to Bruce Willis’ character “I see dead people…”. The hit movie was of course a work of fiction, however, now that I have your attention ~ don’t we all believe in the afterlife and eternity?

Luke 16:22ff shares with us the post-death status of -and dialogue between- Abraham, Lazarus, and the rich man. It describes in some detail, the sobering contrast between the glory of the Saved and the torment of the Lost. In verses 27-28, the rich man pleads …

'Then I beg you, father that you send him [Lazarus] to my father's house-- for I have five brothers--in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

So, hypothetically, I ask myself ~ how might those that have passed on before see me? Would my day-to-day behavior and activities (remember, there is no “secret sin”) make them confident in my faith and salvation, or might they, like the rich man ~ be fearful for of my eternity…?

Consider Ephesians 5:8-14
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. …."

As the old saying goes, “Work like you are going to live forever, and live like you are going to die tomorrow…”

No comments: