Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dig'n Moses' Grave


“I was digging my dog’s grave when he came to lie down beside me as I labored.”

My friend Gaye enjoyed -for several years- a companion of some stature, her dog Moses, a full grown Mastiff. The American Kennel Club describes the Mastiff’s Appearance as follows, “The Mastiff is a large, massive, symmetrical dog with a well-knit frame. The impression is one of grandeur and dignity.” The writer describes Moses as having a head the size of a basketball and the hind quarters of a horse! Moses probably outweighed me.

The Mastiff is one of the largest dog breeds on the planet. Like many large dogs, mastiffs can suffer from genetic hip dysplasia, a crippling hip condition. Moses, unfortunately suffered from same and was facing a life of pain and immobility. Gaye chose to humanely end his suffering. Before their veterinarian made …the house-call… Gaye had some work to do… thus the opening sentence of this story.

After being told this story {once my eyes cleared and I could speak again} my first thought was Wow ~ what a metaphor!

Christ stands innocently by as we dig our graves of worldly deception and vain pursuits. Then, lovingly, selflessly ~ takes our place.

Philippians 2:5-8

No comments: